Posted On: October 29, 2010 by Steven J. Malman

Family of Cop Sues City for Workers’ Compensation

Although employees and their families usually cannot sue an employer for personal injury, this recent civil case is an example of why it is so important that you explore your legal options even if you are told that you are not entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. There may be other ways to obtain all the work injury recovery that you are owed.

In Alabama, the family of Cpl. David Brown is suing the city of Montgomery for is work injury benefits. Brown was critically injured on September 11 while escorting a funeral procession. Following the motorcycle accident, the ambulance that was transporting him turned over on an interstate ramp.

While the city says that it does not owe workers’ compensation to Brown, because he was off-duty at the time and under contract with the funeral parlor, his family contends in their civil lawsuit that the cop had received the police department’s permission to do this job and was even riding a police motorcycle when the collision occured. His family wants the city to declare that his brother was on-duty when the work accident happened.

Brown, who was recently placed on a ventilator after developing pneumonia, is now on medical disability retirement and will receive retirement benefits for life. Additional leave time and other available benefits are also being extended to him.

Chicago, Illinois Workers’ Compensation
Do not take no for an answer merely because your employer’s insurer has denied you your work injury benefits. There are legal remedies to help you obtain the Illinois workers’ compensation that you are owed.

Cpl. Brown's Family Sues City for Worker's Comp., WNFCTV

Update: Montgomery mayor says twice-injured Cpl. David Brown can't get worker's comp, AL/Associated Press, October 28, 2010

Related Web Resources:
Illinois Workers' Compensation Commission

Workers' Compensation, Nolo

Bookmark and Share

Watch Our Videos

Recent Entries